Assistant Superintendent Edmonds?
I am only willing to consider changing postitions at this time if it will be as rewarding as the really good principalship that I am in now. I don't want to get bogged down in a job that is primarily at the district office.
I see myself as in the schools working with principals to analyize data, look for best practices, write School Improvement Plans, make SLPs are tool that works for parents and students and staff. I see myself on the move all day building relationships, listening first, service oriented, with a teaching and learning focus.
There is absolutely no reason for me to accept a job that is mostly central office meetings, solving one problem after another. Instead I would rather be proactive and be part of a changing systems to assure that fewer problems come up in the first place. I believe that MOST principals are motivated by wanting to have the best school possible and struggle with the challenge of how to work with teachers, parents and students to get to that goal. Like Karen Hughes, who defined the White House Communications job as telling the president the truth, even when it wasn't popular, I see myself as being the principals' principal, modeling how to build consensus and collaboration and a learning environment for principals and teachers. That is the kind of learning and teaching and leading environment that I want to work in.
If Edmonds wants that kind of an Assistant Superintendent then I am interested. If not then I love being principal at Skyview and I am ready to do my doctoral work at SPU and move toward this vision. There is plenty of room to grow and learn and have fun. That is what I want for myself and my district.
I see myself as in the schools working with principals to analyize data, look for best practices, write School Improvement Plans, make SLPs are tool that works for parents and students and staff. I see myself on the move all day building relationships, listening first, service oriented, with a teaching and learning focus.
There is absolutely no reason for me to accept a job that is mostly central office meetings, solving one problem after another. Instead I would rather be proactive and be part of a changing systems to assure that fewer problems come up in the first place. I believe that MOST principals are motivated by wanting to have the best school possible and struggle with the challenge of how to work with teachers, parents and students to get to that goal. Like Karen Hughes, who defined the White House Communications job as telling the president the truth, even when it wasn't popular, I see myself as being the principals' principal, modeling how to build consensus and collaboration and a learning environment for principals and teachers. That is the kind of learning and teaching and leading environment that I want to work in.
If Edmonds wants that kind of an Assistant Superintendent then I am interested. If not then I love being principal at Skyview and I am ready to do my doctoral work at SPU and move toward this vision. There is plenty of room to grow and learn and have fun. That is what I want for myself and my district.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home