http://coolcatteacher.blogspot.com/
In this book, game designer Marc LeBlanc defines 8 categories of experiences in a "typology of pleasure". Kathy summarizes them for those who design experiences for users in the corporate world. I'd like to take this Typology of User Experience Pleasures and put them in the context of the classroom.
These are the things about games that make them so addictive to students. We must use them to addict them to lifelong learning. Kathy Sierra is unbelievable!
Typology of Cognitive Pleasures in the Classroom
1. Discovery
This is why Socratic teaching is so very powerful, in my opinion. When you teach by asking questions, the STUDENT gets the light bulb experience. Even if the question is leading, they have the cognizance that THEY discovered it. THEY brought it to light. THEY then take it places I never could if I was just lecturing.
Educational Techniques that harness this: exploratory projects using wikis, Socratic teaching using Google, experiments (online and offline)
2. Challenge
Kathy defines this as:
User experience as obstacles to overcome, goals lying just beyond current skill and knowledge levels