Friday, April 07, 2006

Mindfulness

By Merlin on Mind and Spirit

Dr. JohnsonThis morning I’ve been starting to put together an “Introduction to Mindfulness” post, and I ran across this wonderful little quote that’s been attributed to Dr. Samuel Johnson:

“People need to be reminded more often than they need to be instructed.”

Yep. That right there is pretty much the whole bag of donuts in 13 words.

When people — sometimes understandably — howl and moan about the blinding “obviousness” of everything we talk about on 43F, somewhere in the back of my head a Johnson-esque voice whispers, “Yeah, but do we always do the things we already know we should do?” And I have to say “No, we don’t.” Or at least I don’t.

I think most of the time you guys just happen to get whichever lecture I’ve most recently needed the most myself; like a fretful mother, I make you put on a sweater when I feel a draft. Which is kind of funny I guess, but hey, ideas gotta start someplace.

Even all the blindingly obvious ones.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home