Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Lapidary lines

Lapidary lines

What are your favorite one-line descriptions of what's theologically crucial for us to know? I'm thinking of J.I. Packer's three-word summary of the Bible -- "God saves sinners" -- or Anne Lamott's “I don’t understand much, but I understand how entirely doomed I am without God.” Those are lapidary (diamond-like) sentences. Any suggestions?

Posted by Olasky at June 19, 2006 02:28 PM
Comments
1

"Jesus loves me, this I know, for the Bible tells me so." - supposedly said by Dr. Karl Barth when asked to summarize his theological works.

Posted by: Derek at June 19, 2006 02:48 PM
2

I don't know if this is necessarily crucial, & I don't know who first said it, but I like, & often quote. . .

"Life is hard, but God is good."

Posted by: Karen O at June 19, 2006 02:50 PM
3

"Man is inclined to believe the best about himself, not the truth about himself" Mike Bullmore, Senior Pastor, Crossway Community Church, Kenosha, Wisconsin.

Posted by: MSH at June 19, 2006 02:59 PM
4

The cross is a bridge over the great divide [between God and man]. (my paraphrase)
- Point of Grace

Posted by: trr at June 19, 2006 03:05 PM
5

"I ain't what I oughta be, and I ain't what I'm gonna be, but thank God I ain't what I used to be."

Overheard from an old country woman.

Posted by: JimU at June 19, 2006 03:15 PM
6

"When Christ calls a man; he bids him come & die"
-Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Posted by: 2wire at June 19, 2006 03:15 PM
7

"He's not safe but He is good." (paraphrase of CS Lewis)

Posted by: Rosa at June 19, 2006 03:18 PM
8

Love God and love people

Posted by: Todd at June 19, 2006 03:24 PM
9

Unless she knows who God is, Anne Lamott's remark is more like a petrified bird dropping than a diamond. Just a little research on the web will show you that Ms. Lamott refers to God with a feminine pronoun and thinks abortion and sodomoy are A-OK. In fact, I seem to recall that some time ago she was quoted in the pages of World Magazine as comparing Jesus to an alley cat. I wish I could figure out World's preoccupation with Ms. Lamott. I think from a true Christian perspective Ms. Lamott falls in the same category of cultural dreck as Howard Stern.

Posted by: Melvin McDowell at June 19, 2006 03:34 PM
10

More on Lamott. She admits to being a universalist. See http://www.ctlibrary.com/8869. I don't know how she explains John 14:6 or Acts 4:12.

Posted by: Melvin McDowell at June 19, 2006 03:42 PM
11

Here is a real diamond: "2 Cor 5:21 - For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him."

Posted by: Melvin McDowell at June 19, 2006 03:49 PM
12

Melvin,
Anne Lamott may misunderstand God, but her statement quoted by Olasky is nonetheless correct: we are doomed without God. I would guess that perhaps World's attention to her (I would not go so far as to say preoccupied) is because she is a popular writer, and many Christians read her books. She does have some true things to say (so do many people, Christians or otherwise, because of what theologians call "common grace"), and if people are going to read her books and consider her a worthwhile resource, it is better to pay attention to her and examine what she says than ignore her and pretend that everyone else is also ignoring her. (I was introduced to her writings by my pastor's wife, though after reading one book I wasn't interested in her anymore.)

Posted by: Pauline at June 19, 2006 04:02 PM
13

"There is a God and I'm not Him"-priest in Rudy

Posted by: Samuel James at June 19, 2006 04:07 PM
14

Philip Yancey, in his book What's So Amazing about Grace?, says "Grace means there is nothing we can do to make God love us any more and grace means there is nothing we can do to make God love us any less."

Posted by: Pauline at June 19, 2006 04:09 PM
15

What good will it be for a man if he gains the whole world, yet forfeits his soul?

Posted by: jdrjunior at June 19, 2006 04:12 PM
16

Oh, God is bigger than the Boogey Man!
He's bigger than Godzilla and the monsters on TV!

- Veggie Tales Theme Song

Posted by: Kaylie at June 19, 2006 04:13 PM
17

Actually, Kaylie, those two lines are not from the Veggie Tales theme song; rather, they are from a song in Where's God When I'm Scared?


Jesus died, Jesus rose, Jesus is coming again.

Posted by: Paul M. at June 19, 2006 04:27 PM
18

Pauline, I am glad you found better things to do than read Anne Lamott. I think her writings may be an example of the dog poop in the brownies principle, i.e. would you eat brownies made with dog poop even though they contain many good wholesome ingredients as well and the proportion of dog poop is minimal? "Php 4:8 Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things." The Bible is inexhaustibly rich in meaning, wisdom, and beauty. However, if one wishes to go beyond the words of the bible itself to better understand the bible, there are many writers who reverence the Word. Who has time for the writings of Anne Lamott? Nobody who has their priorities straight, I would dare say.

Posted by: Melvin McDowell at June 19, 2006 04:32 PM
19

Too many Christians have traded the fish for the fish bowl.

Posted by: Lesbian Brothers at June 19, 2006 04:36 PM
20

Well I agree with the basic idea that there is more than one religious path to God. From that perspective I would consider what Anne has to say. I certainly am not going to compare another human being's words to animal feces simply because I don't agree with them - I'm sure Jesus did not do so.

Posted by: Eric the 1/2 a troll at June 19, 2006 04:44 PM
21

John 8:58: Before Abraham was born, I AM.

Posted by: Big Mo at June 19, 2006 04:48 PM
22

No Eric, Jesus may have not used those words, but He would not accept your premise. I find it oddd that you would cite Jesus, yet reject Him as the only way to God.

For He said, "I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

Posted by: Big Mo at June 19, 2006 04:55 PM
23

Eric the 1/2 troll. He may not have compared a human being's words to animal feces but he compared human beings to swine and dogs: Mat 7:6 Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you. Mat 15:25 Then came she and worshipped him, saying, Lord, help me. 26 But he answered and said, It is not meet to take the children’s bread, and to cast it to dogs. Arguably, attempting to discuss theology with Anne Lamott, is she is not willing to accept the plain meaning of the word of God, would be casting your pearls before swine

Posted by: Melvin McDowell at June 19, 2006 05:07 PM
24

There are two things I know for certain. The first is that "there is a God". The second is that " I am not Him".

Posted by: Zinger at June 19, 2006 05:08 PM
25

Eric,

Jesus was no where near as "nice" as most people (non-Christians in particular, it seems) think. While he didn't compare anyone's words to feces (that we know of), he did call people hypocrite, white-washed tomb, satan, son of hell, fool, serpent, and probably a lot of other intolerant names. Maybe Jesus would have been above using poop metaphors, but he clearly wasn't above telling people what he really thought of them.

Posted by: Rostin at June 19, 2006 05:31 PM
26

Rostin - And weren't those words aimed at the hypocritical "religious leaders" (the pharisees)?

Posted by: Karen O at June 19, 2006 06:17 PM
27

I'm not even sure who said this, but I love this quote my Dad uses: "Never doubt in the darkness what God has shown you in the light."

Posted by: Melinda at June 19, 2006 07:27 PM
28

One man's religion is another man's belly laugh.

Posted by: johnb at June 19, 2006 08:22 PM
29

Karen O.,

In most cases, yes, but not all. What's your point?

Posted by: Rostin at June 19, 2006 08:27 PM
30

"It's time for our character to be our message, not our words." by Jack Frost

Posted by: Dav at June 19, 2006 08:36 PM
31

Never perfect, but perfectly forgiven. From the song "Life as We Know It" on the album Jekyl and Hyde by Petra.

Posted by: ORF at June 19, 2006 08:55 PM
32

Christ your righteousness.

Posted by: Christopher Martin at June 19, 2006 09:02 PM
33

Grace= God's Riches At Christ's Expense

Posted by: EYG at June 19, 2006 09:11 PM
34

I find it oddd that you would cite Jesus, yet reject Him as the only way to God.

I do not reject Christ as the only way to God. I just reject that your evangelical religion is the only way to travel that road.

Posted by: Eric the 1/2 a troll at June 19, 2006 09:21 PM
35

Wow, Melvin, amazing how you can skip over Mat 7:1-5 (I guess they don't apply to you) and jump to 7:6 for justification of calling another's words animal feces.

Posted by: Eric the 1/2 a troll at June 19, 2006 09:26 PM
36

All truth is God's truth.

I heard it from:
Pastor Jonathan Dorst
Grace Church Stillwater, OK (PCA)

He might have been quoting someone else. If anyone knows who, please post.

Posted by: phelpsy at June 19, 2006 09:53 PM
37

#25:

Rostin,
I believe Jesus did use a "poop metaphor" in Mark 7:19.

"Here is a trustworthy statement that deserves full acceptance -- Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am foremost." -- the Apostle Paul, 1 Timothy 1:15

Posted by: theoriginal TJ at June 19, 2006 10:04 PM
38

In the introduction to Charles McIlvaine's (McIlvaine was an Anglican minister in the 19th century) Preaching Christ, there's mention of a question he asked his congregations almost constantly. Since reading it, it has become a favorite of mine (though I'm slightly paraphrasing here, as I do not have the book in front of me): "Have you fled to Christ, and are you trusting in Him as your sole refuge and righteousness?"

Posted by: theoriginal TJ at June 19, 2006 10:20 PM
39

Eric the 1/2 troll, I did not skip over anything. What is your point about Mat 7:1-5? Being a Christian does not mean that you must not ever criticize anyone. Uses of the word are to reprove and correct: 2 Timothy 3:16 All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness. Mat 7:1-5 is about not being a hypocrite It does not tell us that we should never judge the actions of another. If we don't judge the actions of others, how will we know them by their fruits (see Mat 7:16). In fact Jesus tells us to judge: John 7:24 "Do not judge according to appearance, but judge with righteous judgment."

Posted by: at June 19, 2006 10:42 PM
40

not exactly a 'one-line descriptions of what's theologically crucial for us to know', but it's a good quote:

'God wants spiritual fruit, not religious nuts.'
-Unknown

Blessings

Posted by: yonk at June 19, 2006 11:10 PM
41

I've read the article World Magazine published on Anne Lamott, and while I disagree entirely with her views on inerrancy, homosexuality and the exclusive claims of Christ, I am not willing to discount her as a Christian. Evangelicals have a tendancy to confuse salvation with sanctification, and expect a new believer to be completely changed in the blink of an eye. Paul refers to new believers as babes in Christ, and says we shouldn't be content to drink milk when we should be graduating to solid food. If that's the case, you can't expect a new believer to be a mature believer.

Instead of condemning Anne Lamott, I'd encourage you to pray for her. She's made the first vital step of putting her faith in Christ. She now needs to grow, and be willing to learn from the Word, and from those who are mature in the faith. So pray that God will give her a tender heart - one open to learning what He wants to teach her.

I know Mr. Olasky is looking for phrases, but I think this scripture sums it up pretty well:
"God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." Romans 5:8

Posted by: at June 19, 2006 11:28 PM
42

"Lapidary" is not associated with diamonds, but with semiprecious or precious stones, or inscriptions in stone.

Lapidary prose would be chiseled and precise, or worthy of being inscribed on a tablet.

Posted by: kwerna at June 20, 2006 12:19 AM
43

My personal favorite is from a Christmas carol. It's the whole Bible in four words: "God and sinners reconciled".

Posted by: dave faith at June 20, 2006 03:37 AM
44

He is there, and He is not silent - Francis Schaeffer

Posted by: Manxman at June 20, 2006 06:17 AM
45

Rostin - The reason I mentioned that Jesus' harsh words were, for the most part, directed at the hypocrisy of the pharisees was to point out that He didn't just go around saying harsh things to people in general. The truths that He taught were hard, yes, but He was not harsh in His use of words to the ordinary person.

Some on this blog like to use harshness & rudeness, & then claim that they're being like Jesus. I think Jesus reserved His anger for those who really deserved it, not just anybody. (And yes, I do realize that we all deserve His anger, but that's another subject.)

I'm not saying that you are advocating the use of rudeness-in-the-name-of-Jesus, just adding my own thought to your statement.

Posted by: Karen O at June 20, 2006 07:27 AM
46

#17 Thanks Paul M. You're right - they're from that video!

Posted by: Kaylie at June 20, 2006 07:36 AM
47

“God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him.” (John Piper)

Posted by: Cap Stewart at June 20, 2006 07:38 AM
48

Jesus did use poop metaphors: "It is not what goes into a man that makes him unclean, but what comes out of him." Jesus used this to describe not only the words, but also the thoughts and actions of man.

Also, would you be less offended if he called your words "filthy menstrual rags?" B/c that's what his word calls those things which we are most proud of.

God used these metaphors b/c poop and menstrual flow are disgusting to us like all our sin (including lies about God) is disgusting to Him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home