The Other Mars Hill and Rob Bell
"Each day we take around 26,000 breaths," Bell begins, a little stiffly at first. "Our breathing should come from our stomach, not our chest. But when we are moving too fast, when we're stressed, when we're distracted, we tend to breathe from our chest," he continues, on a roll. "Where is your breathing coming from?"
No collection plates are passed. Instead, in the back of the room by the exits there are "joy boxes," where worshippers can drop a donation. Or not.
Bell and his staff weekly urge congregants to meet the physical as well as spiritual needs of their neighbors -- at home and abroad. One recent Sunday, on the spur of the moment, the congregation raised $500,000 to send to a village in Africa ravished by AIDS, famine and drought.
"But I love everybody and you're next!" he says, giggling. "That's how I respond to criticism."
No collection plates are passed. Instead, in the back of the room by the exits there are "joy boxes," where worshippers can drop a donation. Or not.
Bell and his staff weekly urge congregants to meet the physical as well as spiritual needs of their neighbors -- at home and abroad. One recent Sunday, on the spur of the moment, the congregation raised $500,000 to send to a village in Africa ravished by AIDS, famine and drought.
"But I love everybody and you're next!" he says, giggling. "That's how I respond to criticism."

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home