Low Tech RAM Text: Organizing a Business Journal
Low Tech RAM Text: Organizing a Business Journal
Or
Captains' Log: Warp Drive

The title of this work is based on the phrase coined, I believe, by David Allen of GTD fame. David says, remembering all the details takes up too much of your "Psychic RAM." He suggests, simply writing the details down.
I took the concept a step farther. I built my own "Low Tech RAM Text," or log which I previously wrote about in Captains Log. You may consider this update as "Captains' Log Squared", in that it exponentially increases the value of your log.
Well, enough of clever catch phases.
In order to make the most effective use of my log, I follow some guidelines and organizational/reference strategies.
From cover to cover.
1. Inside the front cover I jot down telephone numbers, email addresses and web sites that come up during the day. I do not have an exact system for recording this information but, I try to put references that would be at the beginning of the alphabet on the top left inside corner of the front cover and those that would occur at the end of the alphabet on the bottom right corner.
It is also a convenient place to jot down passwords and system access procedures.
Since the log book has a fixed binding it provides an excellent foil for recording items chronologically. Consider it a running narrative of the events of the day. Fill each page before starting the next, regardless of where your date change occurs.
When you have completely filled the log, pip it onto a secure bookshelf and start a new log. I like to use a Dymo Pocket labeler to indicate the time span the log covers. I attach it to the spine of the log for easy reference from the shelf. I strongly suggest you do this, as well.
Compiling such a large volume of information can be overwhelming. So, I developed a system to help me more efficiently categorize my data and improve it as a reference resource.
2. I use a four color Bic pen. Each color has a different significance.
a) Everyday items are recorded in black ink.
b) Follow-up notes are recorded in blue ink.
c) Crisis items are numbered in red ink. I found reading large entries in red distracted me from the content.
d) Personal observations and records are numbered with green.
3. Highlighters add another dimension to the organization strategy and provide for quick eye tracking.
a) Blue indicates the date/day/time.
b) Yellow indicates a client entry or contact data.
c) Green is a notation concerning staff.
4. Post-its provide space for follow-up and take-a-long resources. Remember to write the date on the post-it so you can easily return it to the appropriate page.
Much of this system is similar in concept to Bert Webb's work on Meeting Files over at Open Loops.
Additional Information
The following contrasts may be valuable to you when deciding when and If to implement this system.
Pros
-Highly portable.
-Not power dependent.
-High flexibility.
-Marginal expense.
-Fabulous for anecdotal notes on interpersonal dynamics like: who sides with who, who socializes together, who is a problem, who is negative, and other inside office politic information.
Cons
-If this artifact gets out of your possession you are toast.
-Vulnerability to over-the-shoulder snoops.
-Requires maintaining security of confidential matters.
-Your employment conditions may make the log the property of your employer.-------------------------------
Captains' Log: The Business Record Journal
The term captains’ log brings to mind, depending upon your particular generation, romantic images of a sail billowing, gallant frigate cruising the ocean-seas, or visions of the Star Ship Enterprise, going boldly across the galaxies.However, I have found it to be an indispensable workhouse tool. I would not wish to do without one.
Why, in this modern technological age, would you want to use so archaic a device as a log book?
Because, it is an unmatched tool upon which you may base command decisions and decisive actions.
Although, there are many varieties, I prefer the larger 144 page, ledger style.
It provides the perfect repository for:
1. Meeting notes
2. Phone records
3. Time logs, record the time dedicated to each project
4. Trouble logs, record difficulties and delays encountered
5. Resource logs, record the use and supply of materials on hand
6. Action log, record when you initiate a project
7. Briefs, The emphasis here is on brief. Provide a one or two sentence narrative for each item you record.
Optimization Tips:
- Put frequently called numbers inside the front cover
- Highlight your dates and times in yellow
- Highlight names in green. I cannot tell you how many times this has given me a needed edge in conducting operations. Being able to call up a name from a 5 minute telephone conversation from 3 months ago can make a considerable impression
- Never start a new page until the preceding page is completely full. This lends to the continuity of your log and helps you tie the series of events together mentally.
Additional Uses:
- Car/Auto log, oil, tires, accidents
- Home log, repairs, maintenance, additions, contractors
- Child log, shot dates, baptisms, illnesses, broken bones
Uses of Fancy:
- How about a boss log? You could chart them like the tides.
- How about a spouse log? Do you dare?
- Imagine the possibilities!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home