Monday, August 14, 2006

The News from a Christian POV

Pastor Tom preached about Christians reacting to the news from a nationalistic, pro-American point of view. It was a general sermon without specifics and I imagine he was probably talking about how we react to the Iraq War. So I thought that I would take several news stories each day and apply his lense to the news to see how this point of view relates to the daily news. So I will select 5 news stories from Google News and briefly reflect on each.

1. Bill Gates calls for joint efforts against HIV/AIDS
Xinhua - 3 hours ago
TORONTO, Aug. 13 (Xinhua) -- Bill Gates called on all governments to join the battle against HIV/AIDS on the opening day of the 16th International AIDS Conference here on Sunday.

Bill Gates is a Good Samaratan and is doing what he can to help millions of people worldwide. His efforts are not limited by national boundaries and he is leveraging his giving by encouraging "all" governments to help fight HIV/AIDS. I think that Jesus might tell stories about the rich man making it through the needle in Bill Gates' case. Great news. Is Bill Gates a Christian? Not a quick easy answer on Google.


2. Implementation of UN resolution faces difficult path
WWAY NewsChannel 3 - 31 minutes ago
BEIRUT, Lebanon Despite today's halt to the fighting under a UN-imposed cease-fire, truly bringing an end to the Hezbollah-Israel conflict faces a difficult road.

This is the main item that Pastor Tom introduced in the sermon...kinda hinted at. It is so complicated and I tend to skip over in reading the news. Bottom line, there are a lot of smart people trying to work towards a cease fire and this war has a dramatic effect on real people and real families. Jesus lived at the people level, the micro level and said that problems would always be with us. I have no idea what the Christian point of view would be on this one.

3.
New photos show Castro in hospital with Brother Chavez
Times Online - 1 hour ago
By Jenny Booth and agencies. New photographs have been published apparently showing Fidel Castro alive and celebrating his 80th birthday yesterday with a visit from the President of Venezuela.

America has isolated Cuba and Castro for years. Castro and his government have had a major impact on the people of Cuba for decades. Jesus wasn't an American or a socialist or a communist. He lived within the world as it was given and demonstrated a Christian life. Pro Castro or anti seems like the zealots who missed the real purpose of Christ. The Christian point of view is to below the macro government level?

4.
Rebels reject peace bid as fighting rages
The Herald - 11 hours ago
SRI LANKA moved closer to resuming full-scale civil war yesterday as a government offer of peace talks was rejected by Tamil Tiger rebels.

Wars, wars, wars everywhere and always has been. Small, medium and large governments chasing power. So many people affected and I breeze over these stories in the news. I barely know where Sri Lanka is. The world is so big and my view is so small.

5.
US pre-open: Futures indicate early rally
ShareCast - 30 minutes ago
LONDON (SHARECAST) - Wall Street is expected to recover all of Friday’s losses and more today on sliding oil prices and the start of the truce between Israel and Hezbollah.

The world's economic system is so connected and news travels so fast. There is so much to pay attention to. Should Christians pay attention to this or Gate's initiatives or sermon studies or service in our community or golf. How should Christians invest their time, prayers, energy and attention?

I have never thought of the news from a Christian point of view and I know that I am sooooo naive when I am writing this. I have no idea what the Christian point of view is. I wonder if it is possible to look at life, the news, entertainment...through the lense of Christianity without getting mixed together with nationalism and all of the other -isms.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home