Monday, January 17, 2005

Leadership Capacity and Our Church

My school and my church are similar when it comes to leadership capacity. Pastor Tim took over from Pastor Jon who had been at LFPPC for many years. I took over from Holly who had opened Skyview and was principal there for many years. Both the school and church are friendly, positive places with good people. Both were in a routine that was comfortable and going just fine but the community probably wasn't growing much. Teachers and the congragation wanted strong, positive leaders but didn't want too much change. They wanted the best of the past and the best of the future.

Pastor Tom is looking to grow Leadership Capacity by organizing small groups that will discuss a book that focuses on building friendships, dialogue, and positive community. The church services and music will support this message. He is building leadership within the groups and building community. He is building on the strengths of the 40 Days of Purpose groups from last year. He is trying to get everyone moving in the same direction and I am a natural positive follower in this mission because it is what I have really wanted from the church. I hope that we can build our core values by having real conversations, real prayer together. That is how you build church leadership capacity.

I am hoping to grow positive leadership capacity the same way at Skyview. I have excellent Dept. Heads and real issues to work through. I would dearly love to have agreement that we can use all of our inservice/collaborative days to work on our own curriculums in small groups. Maybe the best way to do this is through book studies about Understanding by Design. It focuses on kids and teaching and learning.

Wouldn't it be exciting to have chuch and school/work move in positive directions! I am hopeful.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home