Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Goal Setting

How close...is too close?

"You can't see the picture when you're stuck in between the frame."

A mentor of mine said this a week ago, and the words struck home for me. I realized that I'm pretty close to a few areas of my life (personally and professionally) and in order to really address them, it's going to require I back up a little bit.

TRIATHLON: I realized this week that I've been merely participating for the past season. I had a "rock'n roll" start, when I placed in the UCSB race. Then, my training, times, and finishes became increasingly "less-than." There was even one race I felt like dropping out of...I didn't (and ran my fastest tri-10K). I realized, however, I don't want to ever have to do that again! I've hired a new coach for the '06 season, bought a new bike, and have started tracking new data in an effort to enhance my training AND performance in the year to come.

TRAVEL: I'll spend night 240 on the year in a hotel tonight (in New York City...on strike). I did get a lot of great city visits in; and, I would like spend a bit more time with my friends or family in '06. I've already planned 2 full week-long vacations (Colorado - a week in Breckenridge, and the biking tour of Colorodo-a week-long bike ride through the mountains). I am also scheduled to take a couple of weekends in the Bay Area, London and the NorthEast.

LEARNING: I was a student again at the LoanToolBox BP2006 event (Las Vegas) as well as the Lou Tice seminar (Seattle). I love (perhaps an understatement?!) learning and growing. So, I'm seeking out some weekend and on-my-own time classes/courses to take next year.

All of this, I must admit, showed up 'cause I gave myself the chance to hear myself speak. I journaled one day, and the question I answered (it took about an hour of writing) was:

What would I like to see, or see differently, next year?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home