Build Others Up
Making noticeable progress with...
...meaningful ways to build esteem.
Ever since teaching (first 5th, then 7th, and then high school - for a total of 6 years), I've been fascinated by tools and techniques to "build people up."
The reasons are obvious - well-prepared, strong-willed, success-driven people are all around taking on new challenges and solving old problems.
Here are two ways I've experienced my own esteem going up; and, I have seen these work on other people as well!
ACCOMPLISHMENT: Find out what happened. For mentors, coaches, parents and friends...it's pretty easy! Just ask. Keep in touch through day-to-day life. I remember my dad, at the dinner table each night, would ask us, "What was the highlight of the day?" Even though we knew it was coming (and sometimes I even planned what I was going to say) it always came out slightly differently than planned. Having an opportunity to "brag" about something, with people who truly cared, was especially special.
ACKNOWLEDGMENT: Work is hard, and life is harder. People end each day with a to do list longer than yesterday; and for some, there is little or no end in sight. Slow down to speed up. Consider actually making a list (yes, stopping to write things down) of all that's already been done, anything you've completed lately that's gotten you closer to a milestone/objective.
The way I've understood it, accomplishment comes from the outside and acknowledgment comes from the inside. Combine them both for maximum value and momentum.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home