Friday, July 07, 2006

Code for To Dos

I have recently come up with a metadata markup system that evolved out of the “dash/plus” system that I use for action items in my Pocket Moleskine. I will try to describe it as best I can with text but it is better viewed so I have included a link to a picture:

- (Dash): Undone Action Item.
+ (Plus): Done Action Item.
<- (Right Arrow): Waiting - i.e. for another action).
-> (Left Arrow): Delegated (with a note to whom and the date).
^ (Triangle): Data Point.
O (Circle): A circle around any of the above means that it has been carried forward, moved to another list or otherwise changed status - i.e. a “Waiting” item has now become an Action Item elsewhere (with a note about where that item has gone).

Not sure is this is making sense so here is a picture to help:

The beauty of this system is that it is all built upon, and extensions of, the original dash. Therefore, it is easy to change items from one state to another (an undone action item to a done one, an undone action item to waiting or delegated) and in the case of an non dashed item changing completely I circle that item to denote that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home