Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Ed's Response to the Community

Dear SHS Community,
This is the substance of a statement that I made to my staff this morning in the wake of a Seattle Times article about events that occurred in another school district ten years ago. I wanted to share this information with you as well:I want to acknowledge a very disturbing article in yesterday's Seattle Times, in which I was prominently featured. The article characterizes me as irresponsible in a manner that seriously compromised young students. This is especially disturbing to me because the issues in the article are not what I recall from my work in the Northshore School District. I believe the substance of the article was drawn from family statements in court proceedings at which I was not present, and of which I had no first hand knowledge. I was never called to testify, nor given a chance to
describe the incidents from my perspective.

As the SHS community reads this article, there are individuals who will ask, "Who is our principal? Can we continue to have confidence in Mr. Young as our principal?" Here is what I want to say to you today: I am and always have been a responsible administrator. I do not tolerate any employee misconduct, especially those behaviors that hurt students. Moreover, I am
working in a school district that is responsible and has many safeguards in place that ensure the safety of students.

I met yesterday with Janet Barry, Mike Gallagher, and Kathy Miyauchi. Our district leaders are understandably concerned. The district is obligated to conduct an investigation and I have told the Superintendent that I welcome the district looking into this matter. I want them to know the circumstances as I know them, because I have nothing to hide. I will answer all of their questions fully. I am proud of my 31 years as an educator and administrator, and know in my heart that my passion and responsibility is to protect all students. I am going to meet with community leaders and student leaders. I know that you will have questions about this. Please understand that I don't intend to discuss confidential details.

This is difficult for me. An article like that is devastating. I ask for your continued confidence as I walk through this.

--Ed Young, Principal
Skyline High School

Please see the District's homepage for more information.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home