Letters to the Editor on Leede Case
Hands off
The remotest concern was withheld from abuser's potential victims
Editor, The Times:
I [read] "Your Courts, Their Secrets: District ignored warnings, then silenced girls fondled by teacher" [Times page one, Oct. 22] getting sicker and sicker as I read.
What is going on here? Cover-ups, secrets, files sealed? Victims and their parents warned that they will be fined $10,000 if they reveal the restitution amounts they have been paid?
To the Northshore school administration: Have you no shame? Have you become so apathetic or fearful that you can't protect our kids?
I shouldn't be surprised. For many years I helped out in my children's schools. After they graduated, I tutored at the school near our home. The day I quit forever is still a bright picture in my head. Every day, I overheard a teacher viciously berating and humiliating her pupils. Finally I went to the principal in tears and reported what was happening. She gave no indication whatever that she cared or that she would take any action. I left feeling hopeless.
I realized that when the classroom door closes, the teacher can do what she/he will with impunity.
— Susan Stanton, Seattle
Depending on silence
Thank you for publishing "District ignored warnings," the investigative article about convicted Northshore teacher Carl Leede. I was astonished at the level of callous deception from [then-principal at Kokanee Elementary] Ed Young. The girls [who reported abuse] learned that they and their friends can be violated routinely by authority figures without repercussion.
To gather up the courage to report this criminal and reprehensible behavior is to expose oneself to belittlement and disbelief.
When a principal pretends to act on behalf of the victims and then chooses not to, a crime worse than the fondling has occurred.
The tone of Young's memos and the distribution of a leaflet on unacceptable touching sent a clear signal to me that Young repeatedly gave a below-minimum effort to meet legal requirements.
These girls and their families have learned a horrible lesson. It renews my rage at the pervasiveness of domestic violence.
Group Health recently did a study that found that domestic violence is found across the spectrums of income and education. And yet, today, despite numerous educational efforts, women are silently suffering repeated violations. Is this something they have learned in school?
— Elizabeth White, Seattle
The reciprocal of outrage
The revealing of the Northshore event records should leave all involved — and there are many — dirty and grimy.
The issue, and the issue alone, is certain children of the Northshore School District were molested, repeatedly, by a teacher in the employ of the district.
The attorney for the families suing the district shrills in The Times article that he was "outraged" and "beyond amazed" at the failure of the district to protect the students from this individual.
Yet, principle and outrage took a back seat as the attorney and his clients (the parents) took the settlement money and ran, thinking that sealing their decision would remain concealed for posterity.
Principle and children: Sorry, you lost this one.
— Thomas Frey, Kingston
Inculcating a tradition
I am often proud to be a teacher in the Northshore School District. Our district is a collection of hardworking, highly capable teachers, forward-thinking and dedicated administrators and students from strong, supportive families.
I have worked at various schools within the district and have always found teaching strategies, community-building events and student behavior that increase my pride in working for Northshore. But, I cannot abide secrets!
We are here, in our jobs, at our schools, to best meet the needs of the children. The Times' investigative report ["District ignored warnings, then silenced girls fondled by teacher"] may shed an unsavory light on a district and profession that I hold dear — more importantly, these children can now begin the healing process.
Each and every student in Carl Leede's classrooms was hurt by his treatment, even the ones who were never touched. He destroyed innocence and brought evil into the classroom.
If education is about shaping young minds, let there never again be such an educator.
— Kristina Saunders, teacher, Northshore School District, Bothell
The incorrigibles
The Times centered its focus on a principal. But he reported to people who undoubtedly told him what to do. As a parent of three in the Northshore School District, I hope the following are held accountable:
• The union leaders who protected an abusive and predatory teacher.
• The School District leadership who spent our tax dollars on hush money (the "settlement," which settles nothing).
• The district's attorney(s) who put a gag order on the victims' families, and the court officials who unlawfully hid the case.
School authorities' primary responsibility, in loco parentis, is to protect children, not teachers. The way some of these young children had to try to protect themselves, while grown-ups dithered, is appalling.
Public servants who lack the courage to remove predators from our schools, and then try to cover their tracks, are a menace to society. Thank you for uncovering their filthy deeds.
— David Lund, Kirkland
Multiplication enabled
Not only are the cover-ups morally repugnant, but as they say, "You pay for it." We the public pay $700,000 cash settlements such as this one [in the Northshore School District]. Plus, who's to say that throwing big money at the problem makes it better? Does money and complete destruction of court documents show genuine consideration for the rights of citizens and constituents?
Count me amazed that administrative cover-ups of this type go on despite years of related articles in the news, and teacher and administrator training that I know is very explicit.
— Lee James, Coupeville
Compare apples to apple
What teacher Carl Leede did was terrible, but what the Northshore school principals did by ignoring his abuse was reprehensible. Instead of protecting their students, they literally gave Leede permission to continue his molestation.
Principal Anne Boone [of the now-defunct Woodinville Annex] had three complaints! She basically ignored them.
She and the others who condoned or ignored Leede's behavior are as guilty of child abuse as Leede.
— Connie Trier, Everett
Copyright © 2006 The Seattle Times Company

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home