Monday, October 11, 2004

Fly Wheel

Our garage door has been off track and squeaky and threatening for over a
year. A major spring exploded once and the cable came off track twice. I
don¹t call in repairmen and tinkered a few minutes here and there,
tightening the loose screws on the right door, messing with the motorŠThen
last week the motor stopped and I started thinking money. Dang! Got the
motor started and decided I better get it done right. So I scrubbed all of
the dirty old grease off the tracks, a dirty, dirty hard job and put on new
grease. Got it all tuned up and the problem was still there so I opened and
closed the garage door dozens of times until I saw one hidden pully that was
rolling smoothly. I took it apart and the bearings were frozen. THE
PROBLEM. A trip to the hardware store, $3.71, 90 seconds to install and the
garage door is fixed. Two years, lots of wasted 15 minute tinkering,
dangerous breakdowns and one simple fly wheel was the fix.
Most problems are like the fly wheel. You can look at the system and see it
is out of balance and something is wrong. You tinker a little here and
there and are slightly bothered until the system threatens to explode.
Sometimes it is a $3.71 part and a few minutes when you know where the real
problem is.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home