Choice Schools
I am serving on a Task Force to study and recommend new educational options for Northshore schools. After several months of background information, I think that the best course of action to consider is the "Choice Schools" policies and procedures that Lake Washingington SD has adopted. I like this option because it creates the opportunity and guidelines to create new learning environments. Teachers, parents, community or even students could take part in the planning and organization. The plan is outlined at
http://www.lkwash.wednet.edu/lwsd/html/programs/choice_schools.asp
Northshore already has homeschool and a small alternative school, but this may be a jumpstart for an International School, Environmental School or something that we haven't thought of. Lake Washington has room currently for 500-700 junior high students in diverse programs such as arts and science, historic/classical themes, environmental sciences, world languages and highly capable learners. These choice schools can be located next to a high school to give junior high students access to high school classes or near vocational shops or near business partners.
http://www.lkwash.wednet.edu/lwsd/pdf/ChoiceFair2004.pdf
It looks like these programs are each connected to a junior high or a high school and take advantage of open classrooms. I suspect that this is partially how Lake Washington has taken care of their stagnent enrollment numbers. I think that Northshore should look toward Lake Washington's choice schools as a model.
http://www.lkwash.wednet.edu/lwsd/html/programs/choice_schools.asp
Northshore already has homeschool and a small alternative school, but this may be a jumpstart for an International School, Environmental School or something that we haven't thought of. Lake Washington has room currently for 500-700 junior high students in diverse programs such as arts and science, historic/classical themes, environmental sciences, world languages and highly capable learners. These choice schools can be located next to a high school to give junior high students access to high school classes or near vocational shops or near business partners.
http://www.lkwash.wednet.edu/lwsd/pdf/ChoiceFair2004.pdf
It looks like these programs are each connected to a junior high or a high school and take advantage of open classrooms. I suspect that this is partially how Lake Washington has taken care of their stagnent enrollment numbers. I think that Northshore should look toward Lake Washington's choice schools as a model.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home