Another Flat
Was at 30 psi and had a tire rated up to 120. Pinch pop. Luckily had another tube. Got a new pump with a gauge and rides so much smoother and faster. Need the tricks...no the skills.
----------------------------------------
If you're getting flats, are you mounting the tire right and the tube within? You may be getting pinch flats. After you insert the tube, you put a little air in the tube, then roll the tire back onto the rim, the 'walk' the tire/tube back and forth working your way around the entire rim. This gets the tube out of the way of the tire, which can lead to pinch flats.
Are you filling the tire up full enough and keeping it at pressure? Tires can lose pressure even after a week. I ride daily and once a week (or two) I deflate and re-inflate the tires back to pressure. Tires not inflated properly, will also flat.
--------------------------------I take exception to the comments about airfree-type tires. They are great tires when properly chosen for your specific application. I have urethane tires with 120 PSI equivalent hardness on my Dahon Speed 8 that I use as a bullet-proof commuter bike. It is a great feeling to hop on the bike and ride off without worrying about the tires. Some say the tires are heavy, but they weigh less then all of the tire gear you would normally carry on a commuter bike. High Rebound high PSI urethane tires are the best for all-purpose commuting. I would only deal with the folks at Air Free (www.airfreetires.com) who are way a head of their competition. Good luck.
----------------------------------------
If you're getting flats, are you mounting the tire right and the tube within? You may be getting pinch flats. After you insert the tube, you put a little air in the tube, then roll the tire back onto the rim, the 'walk' the tire/tube back and forth working your way around the entire rim. This gets the tube out of the way of the tire, which can lead to pinch flats.
Are you filling the tire up full enough and keeping it at pressure? Tires can lose pressure even after a week. I ride daily and once a week (or two) I deflate and re-inflate the tires back to pressure. Tires not inflated properly, will also flat.
--------------------------------I take exception to the comments about airfree-type tires. They are great tires when properly chosen for your specific application. I have urethane tires with 120 PSI equivalent hardness on my Dahon Speed 8 that I use as a bullet-proof commuter bike. It is a great feeling to hop on the bike and ride off without worrying about the tires. Some say the tires are heavy, but they weigh less then all of the tire gear you would normally carry on a commuter bike. High Rebound high PSI urethane tires are the best for all-purpose commuting. I would only deal with the folks at Air Free (www.airfreetires.com) who are way a head of their competition. Good luck.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home