The Power of Engagement Classroom Conversation Notes
Principles
1. draw on all four sources of energy
2. balance energy with renewal
3. stretch beyond your current limits (Bowflex...haven’t pushed beyond my first weights)
Conversations
 tough conversations also stretch us...because positive relationship are such an important part of our jobs and our human needs
 time efficiency considering e-mail vs. conversations
 example 1st grade teachers together and the topic moved toward a one school issue that was off target...at lunch break I talked to the school...sit back and not address at that moment and then address the issue at a better time
 nature nurture thing. Site Team ugly at times. As the dialogue winded down, I needed to commuinicate that I get quiet to think at the end. It is easier for me to be competitive than be quiet and listen. Let them process.
 “we instinctively resist pushing beyond our comfort zone”
 “expanding capacity means that we have to have short term discomfort for long term benefits”...physical isn’t as big of a deal for me as the emotional and it shows up in my work as a principal and I would bring that home....an emotional nuetrality...critical learning for me is that I need to stretch by participate in emotional discomfort and that makes me feel uncomfortable
 how often do we have these conversations with our administrative teams (3/14 hands went up)...these conversations wouldn’t come up in my district because it isn’t seen as the work of the district. Professional Growth Planning isn’t easy and it is about everybody
 if you aren’t healthy then you can’t be healthy for others in your district
 do you think there is a market for coaching for personal growth
 authentic learning communities working on their own professional growth...community in mind is interactive, interpersonal risk, emotional content and the idea of accountability (folks who ask for accountability) “I request to be accountable to you” has the potential but I don’t think it can happen outside of community
WHAT ABOUT STRETCHING SPIRITUALLY?
 a time I wouldn’t disengage because it could take me to a place that was uncomfortable...the time to disengage may be the best way to grow
 turn off the radio in the car...quiet time (quiet reflection)
 holding yourself to your core values....so easy to say “if you have a problem with a person then talk to them” It is so easy to say but it is so hard to do...that is part of growth and stretching. It is easy but hard
 accountability is a word in education, small groups, church...we struggle within our church...you will struggle if you try to do it yourself, a learning faith community. The church should be a learning community.
 bible study and prayer is stretch
CONVERSATION 2
Benefits of a healthy diet: eat breakfast, many small meals during the day, reduce coffee, less at night, drinking water
 my life is full of rituals but not necessarily healthy. Vilapsna...I discovered how negative my rituals are.
 coffee may cause dehydration and tiredness
1. draw on all four sources of energy
2. balance energy with renewal
3. stretch beyond your current limits (Bowflex...haven’t pushed beyond my first weights)
Conversations
 tough conversations also stretch us...because positive relationship are such an important part of our jobs and our human needs
 time efficiency considering e-mail vs. conversations
 example 1st grade teachers together and the topic moved toward a one school issue that was off target...at lunch break I talked to the school...sit back and not address at that moment and then address the issue at a better time
 nature nurture thing. Site Team ugly at times. As the dialogue winded down, I needed to commuinicate that I get quiet to think at the end. It is easier for me to be competitive than be quiet and listen. Let them process.
 “we instinctively resist pushing beyond our comfort zone”
 “expanding capacity means that we have to have short term discomfort for long term benefits”...physical isn’t as big of a deal for me as the emotional and it shows up in my work as a principal and I would bring that home....an emotional nuetrality...critical learning for me is that I need to stretch by participate in emotional discomfort and that makes me feel uncomfortable
 how often do we have these conversations with our administrative teams (3/14 hands went up)...these conversations wouldn’t come up in my district because it isn’t seen as the work of the district. Professional Growth Planning isn’t easy and it is about everybody
 if you aren’t healthy then you can’t be healthy for others in your district
 do you think there is a market for coaching for personal growth
- School Bds. And district are not going to see it as their responsibility
- Masterful Coaching Model (like counseling contract within our contract)
- would you want someone to come in and help your administrators with these issues?
- politics of paying for administration physical fitness, emotional training
- challenge of the politics of spending that $5k for consulting...community perception...Sup in Mt. Vernon got a Health Club Membership
 authentic learning communities working on their own professional growth...community in mind is interactive, interpersonal risk, emotional content and the idea of accountability (folks who ask for accountability) “I request to be accountable to you” has the potential but I don’t think it can happen outside of community
WHAT ABOUT STRETCHING SPIRITUALLY?
 a time I wouldn’t disengage because it could take me to a place that was uncomfortable...the time to disengage may be the best way to grow
 turn off the radio in the car...quiet time (quiet reflection)
 holding yourself to your core values....so easy to say “if you have a problem with a person then talk to them” It is so easy to say but it is so hard to do...that is part of growth and stretching. It is easy but hard
 accountability is a word in education, small groups, church...we struggle within our church...you will struggle if you try to do it yourself, a learning faith community. The church should be a learning community.
 bible study and prayer is stretch
CONVERSATION 2
Benefits of a healthy diet: eat breakfast, many small meals during the day, reduce coffee, less at night, drinking water
 my life is full of rituals but not necessarily healthy. Vilapsna...I discovered how negative my rituals are.
 coffee may cause dehydration and tiredness

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home