Sunday, October 17, 2004

Rick Jones: Burlington Edison Panel Interview Notes

Rick Jones: Burlington Edison 7 years
 
Career Path:  25th year as admin, 3 eyars as a teacher. Admin was always my goal.  4 years hs, 5 yeas El. Prin, 3 years Ass Sup, 13 years Sup….all small districts.

Job Search: honey, where do you want to go…we have 7 children.  We still have a freshman and senior in high school and the other have moved on. Community for us.  I very actively nutured relationships with headhunters.  I know them all on a first name basis.  Very important.  Who you know matters.  

Join WASSA and go to the conferences.  See the headhunters and introduce yourself at lunch.  Network.   Has a lot to do with getting to the pool.  Paperwork is huge. As you move up the career ladder the paperwork is a little fuller.  If you are interested in being a superintendent then broaden…that is why it was a good idea for me to become an elementary principal.  I was a HS AD.  

Broad paperwork. Broad range of references important…from students to me.  Stash them away.  Resume packet.

Research the district and community:  learning about the power brokers in a community.  We went to a community and did a research paper to tie together the power of the community.  One of the best preparations for becoming a superintendent.  DRAW THE SYSTEM OF POWER IN NORTHSHORE.

I would never go to a district without a three year contract.  I wouldn’t fight the fight without a three year contract.

Education World is very small.  Only 297 districts.

My experience is that School Boards are getting better and better. They are often independent of head hunter

Vision Improving Student Learning

1. I haven’t had an original thought about education…..often I am thinking andI think it is original and then someone is talking about it…..or theyalready wrote about it
2. Myvision is all of the good stuff that is happening today.  Doing incredible stuff today.  Learning communities.  Learning together.  Teachers becoming more collaborative and learning together.
3. Data….
4. Myrole….you really can influence the direction of a school district.
5. Budget….7years amount of $ I have moved into teaching and learning is awesome.   That is what I am most proud of.  More inservice.  More curriculum.  Providing resources for the classroom.
6. Youget what you evaluate…..principal shares with me and I share my goal withthem.  
7. Knowledgeof the change process.
8. Communicating….sharingthe vision.
 
Impact fees in the city and county.  Supportive community  Ask for more than we need and we plan for the future.  Studies of every area in the district.  Transportantion we were losing $400,000 a year.  We are now only giving $200,000.

Immediate issues blew out any Entry Plan.  We had such a big learning plan and it failed.  In BE there was a lawsuit over evolution and big time.  

In every job the most important thing is relationships.  Everything.  If the staff doesn’t like you then you are done.  If I were to build a plan it would be based on relationships.  Show them that you care about them. Relationships are everything.

Communication. Early on, three rules

1. do a good job
2. do a good job
3. do a good job
 
That is the best advise…stay focused on doing a good job.

Know the people in your community.  Continue to do that.

On the way down her. Returned a call….a road is named after him.  His concerns about racists schools.  I was trying to understand him and I had limited success.  He listed all of the people he was connected with in the community.  That is the power thing.  Know who is who.

If you don’t have to make changes then don’t.

School Board

1. Board member not following their role. President and Board issue. Often can’t.  If they can’t then I have to come in.
2. Don’t forget that the SB is your Boss.
3. Stay real close to your Board Members.
4. High School called me in this week because they thought the SB was micromanaging them.  5 Board Members…n one of them hired me. No one had gone through the process to find me.  2 got on with agendas which is a challenge.  Move from I to we.
5. 3Board members are former jocks and very, very, very involved.  Sports right now.  Admin shared the concrete examples that were bothering them. Great discussion about the gray areas.  My HS administrators see it as black/white
6. The job of a superintendent isn’t black white.
7. No its not illegal.  If there Board members vote then it goes. “if they say so then it is so”
8. Board/Superintendent Work Session and outside experts….promote Doyle Winter…..former WASSA.  Credibility with my Board.  He is a jock.  He is coming back to deal with this issue.  
 
My Board knows that it isn’t ok to have one member go straight to the principal and so we talk as a group.

Planning is everything.  We plan every Sunday. Covey fan. First things First. Something for her. Something for me.  Read a book together every night.  Plan, plan, plan your balance.  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home