Sunday, October 17, 2004

Rick Schulte, Oak Harbor SD Panel Discussion

Rick Schulte, Oak Harbor SD 6300 students
 
Career Path:  my 33rd year, kindergaten MO, 4th, 5th, 7th, 8th, library, Peace Corp, VP, Principal (ms, hs) by 35 years old. Oak Harbor 6 years Ass. Sup., 12 years Sup.  WASSA Meeting within a Meeting for the few sups that last 10 years.

Job Search:  Ass Sup to Sup within the same district. At the time, I was in a job search. I decided the characteristics I wanted in a job.  

1. subscribeto WASSA and WASDA…sup job listings
2. SearchConsultant…get them your resume and meet with them  (usually contact 30 candidates so don’t get too high)
 
American Association of School Administrators…lots of headhunters and they will look at your resume and give you input.  They helped improve my resume.

There are sups who specialize in serving in districts that are in trouble.  

If you are offered a job and you say no then your chances are reduced with headhunters…do your research first.

Talk to the Search Team:  most suggest that you don’t talk to the Board Members or community members.  (like Dennis Ray)  Don’t make it look like you are campaigning for the job.

School Boards typically ask you what your time commitment is.  Be prepared to answer.

2-3 Days of Input from community groups, principals etc…and often ignore that.  Often a political decision.  

Watch the community. In Oak Harbor, impact fees would mean I wouldn’t last 24 hours.  We are conservative, Republican.  The notion that I would say that we ask for more than what we need.   A library bond just got a 40% vote.

The vision is my job. We recently rewrote our vision statement. I can easily share it.   “We are a caring community educating every student for success.”  Broader than test scores.

% of budget is high going to students although we have low $ per student.  

When I took over our schools hadn’t been touched for 45 years.  Passed a bond and we remodeled all of our school.  Our community expects that we will maintain the schools.  Non-negotiable. No part of the organization has all of the resources they need.

We are proud that the largest percentage goes to classroom instruction.  

Ask the tough questions.  Identify the weaknesses and publicize that.  Celebrate success.  “Pressure and support”

I have hired every administrator at least twice in Oak Harbor.  As sup you are going to hire and orientate administrators. The type of team you are building

Many, many school boards…WHAT DATA DO YOU HAVE THAT PROVE YOU IMPROVED STUDENT LEARNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Military presence is a huge presence.  60% of students.  Add children of retired navy would be 75%.  

Today I was attending the Rotary, Navy League, Navy Event.  Everyone is there.  Yesterday to the “CHANGE OF COMMAND”  I go many of the events. 15000 volunteers from the Navy.  We have a full time volunteer coordinator. Official Navy liason to the School Board.  I have known the last 10 Base Commanders on a first name basis.  Assistant Sup attends the omnibudsman monthly meeting.

Navy on deployment 6 months at a time.  Family Support from the base.  Kids change when their parents leave.  

After 9/11, Navy Daycare shut down.  Commander came and told us why we shouldn’t shut down.  

Every community has a unique, essential group of community members.  Ranchers or churches or big business….

Entry….moving from Ass. To Sup it isn’t the same.  All of a sudden you don’t have anyone to ask if it is ok.  I had to treat it like I was new to the district.

I was loyal and did what he wanted then I had to question.  I talked to everyone under the sun.  Talk to Union leadership, with each School Board Member, with principals,  find out what they want, talk to students particularly high school students.

I still talk to high school students in focus groups…leaders and renegades.

Go over the budget with a fine tooth comb.  Look yourself.  Get the questions.  

Everyone wants to talk to you anyway.  

Good idea to make no big decisions for 6 months.

I got the job in May and we didn’t have a budget, fund balance, preliminary balance in the red…I had to get rid of some people.  Left vacancies unfilled.  Seven arbitrations scheduled.  Entry Plan theory is good but you have to take care of what you take care of.

One arbitration was the next day.  I gave in on 4 arbitrations and the union gave in on 2.  We won the first arbitration.  Honest disagreement.

What things hae to happen right away.  If luxury for no decisions for 6 months….

Working with School Boards

volunteers with so much time with little or no reward

hard to read all you have to read, the complaints, public attacks, hard to hear you don’t care….

I love them for wanting to make a difference

micromanage comes to mind….inevidtable tension. SB sets policy and admin carries it out.  Most policies are state, fed. Gov.  So what is policy. Key decisions?  They often want to do things that you think is your job.  You have to talk about it  It may all be changing.

something you should do or something that I should do

can only act as a corporate board…legally true.

 I’ve worked with 27 School Board members.

great Board now.   Minority now support the decision

1/3 to 1/2 time with the Board…many things that I do are filtered through the SB filter

I take and issue to the SB and tell them that I think that I have the authority.  Do you think that you should be part of the decision.

 communicate via e-mail, weekly paper packet, voice-mail.  Have to be careful that the SB isn’t communicating that way.  Open Public Meeting law.

if I answer one SB member then I answer it for all.

I set the agenda with the SB President together. Takes a while to learn to be a good SB President.  WE work closely.  

if nothing else the SB can defer to me

dictator it is up to the rest of the Board to set it straight  Not safe for you to reign in a rougue SB member.

Dealing with this week

1.  mediation
2.  forgery ASB
3.  M/O Teacher won’t support
4.   custodian  challenged student to fight
5.   teacher who ignored marijuana
6.   2 Board members banning vending machines
7.   administrator on plan of improvement
8.   last year I condemned the bleachers and tonight is the Home Coming
9.   hiring Biz Manager, many administrators

I didn’t want an easy job.  I like it.  Like challenges.

I have a family and daughter at USC.  I am a fan.  Keep a journal…40 years of being reflective.  Fanatic outdoors.   Swim, bicycle, wights, run.  Mountaineering for 5 years.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home