Saturday, January 29, 2005

Laurie Interview Notes

Mike Anderson

EDAD 7586

Dr. Smith

Human Resources Interview


I interviewed Laurie , Executive Director of Human Resources, Northshore School District.


Hiring New Administrators

  1. I sit in on secondary hiring. Director sits in on elementary administrative hiring
  2. I make about 20 reference checks on each administrator
  3. It is very important to do everything we can to make good hires

Personal Principles vs. Difficult Conversations

Crucial Conversations

She is reading Crucial Conversations. It was a book group selection that the Executive Cabinet and the Association shared. Laurie had an audiobook with the next book in the series, Difficult conversation.



HR Director’s Main Job

  1. All superintendents want to get what they want done.
  2. It is my job to know what the superintendent wants to get done
  3. Have to deal with difficult situations like settlement agreements, removing teachers, inappropriate professional conduct and conflict.
  4. I to the administrative entrance training
  5. when a superintendent wants something you need to be able to deliver.
  6. Not necessary to have had building administrative experience in this position. Very technical position and most HR Directors do not have principal experience.

  1. Jeff’s job is different. 50% or more is based on Dr. Forys. Happening more than in other districts but in Edmonds with Brian it was there with a different style. What I have to deal with is different than other administrators.

  1. I am still dealing with Blank. Settlement Agrements, Paid admin leave….most admin doesn’t deal with that . Rhthym and dance to that. If done correctly then the employee leave.

Relationship Between a Superintendent and Executive Director

    1. doesn’t like controvery and works to stay ahead of it
    2. she is a master at keeping the Board informed
    3. Seven years as Executive Director. I know what she wants. I do it before she asks. If I know then I go to them first. She will call me in then I know that it is coming up.
    4. The Superintendent periodically drops by my office and says, “Laurie, we have a problem. Do you have a minute? As Executive Director of Human Resources, what do you think that we should do?” It is my job to be reflective, understand the political climate and make it happen. “I take the monkey and put it on my back.”
    5. I try to solve all problems before the superintendent needs be involved.

Administrative Team

  1. Feeling very good about the communication among Executive Cabinet
  2. Often double-team and strategize together
  3. We meet every week and are on the phone all the time


Hiring Mistakes

  1. a really nice, experienced administrator and all of this references were very positive but he had poor writing skills and was not able to handle tough personnel situations like disciplining an employee or sharing reduced staffing with principals. So he was a very good person but not a very good administrator.
  2. An administrator hadn’t been a vice principal and we knew there were weaknesses but the hiring team hired the administrator anyway.
  1. This month two settlement agreements. Lawye rin one and association in another. Threee. Letter of Resignation. I do it and then I giver a copy. If I know that she needs to know then I go to the other person. . I help the other person get involved.
  1. Because of Dick’s style, her relationship is different than with Bob. With Dick she knows that Dick will get it done.
  1. Same with Glen who was a averbal processor and I don’t think that she saw him making the organizational changes. Culture.
  1. On several occasions, I need to tell you how much I appreciate. You don’t have a need to come to me and ask what I should do. A good feel. You keep me informed.
  1. I was here the day she came. I see her in a different way. She has softened and shthe Cabinet Team really gells. Not like other players. It is a synergy. Everyone informs Karen on the really big things.
  1. Master on the Board Briefing. Auditor intake meeting with the Superintendnet. Invote any Baord Meeting. Lets them know.
  1. Aug. 31st Start Date. Attached and draft to respond to this person.
  1. Karen is so extremely organized. We have a calendar for every month with every reqirement. Staff Meeting where I ask….so long and resistance.
  1. Certificate Expire Letter…time line for all of the letters. A


Meetings

a. Meet with the whole HR Department every other week for one hour. Everyone attends the meeting. For example, at each meeting we reviewed each human resource policy, cross referenced the WAC and discuss possible changes to the policy. These meetings are professional development. We have a department monthly timeline and we review the tasks that must be completed and briefly share about significant projects. We go over law changes, staffing and district budget.

b. Weekly meeting with Director HR, Benefits Manager, and Human Resources Management.

Effect of Budget Cuts

  1. Cut one HR employee last year
  2. Hiring freeze and one of our employees was just hired by a school so we are trying to figure out how to cover internally
  3. The next cut will be very difficult
  4. We have taken over the Mentor Teacher Program and Staff Development but we are not providing the same level of support





* staffing: some principals consistantly recieve more staffing through politics and whining. Effect on how decisions get made. Has become much less

* most school districts do staffing through HR and the assistant superintendent is not involved

* Secondary Assistant Superintendent wants just a little staffing to solve problems

* hard staffing decisions, say "Laurie Ferwarda told me to do that." I do that all of the time. I have Karen's permissions to say "Karen wants this straightened out"

* to solve budget issue, we will have to wipe out problem solving and then 10 teachers on top of that. right now everyone is holding their cards and waiting to see what will happen.

* 1.5 million cut. Dan tried to be the role model for the whole group. Ryan and Doug had a plan in place before hand. He wants money to go to instruction. Dan is a gifted negotiator.

* budget as seamless as possible, without public forum because the Board doesn't want them, ways to bring in revenue but nothing like last year. Most sups don't want to get into the details of budget cuts. But if it doesn't move fast enough then she will have to get involved. By Feb. Break everything needs to be on the table.

* Business Manager has to balance the budget but he wants to get along with his colleagues. If we can't cut JH Deans, Nurses, and have maximized class sizes and we have to cut administration for the bigger schools

* discussed the benefits of Deputy Superintendents

* Edmonds 2 day Cabinet Retreat and we came out of the meetings with all of the cuts

* It is actually working without a Deputy Sup now.

* balance between the old and new. At least 50% of administrators should come from outside of the district

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home