Wednesday, November 10, 2004

For-profit Schools and the Seattle Sonics

The Seattle Sonics lost their first game by 20 points and everyone knew it would be an awful year with an awful team.  Then...three wins and there is a new enthusiasm and new fan favorites like Danny Fortson.  I little success and public opinion changes.  
This is like the Edison company.  Many times, I’ve hear about disappointing charter school scores and districts considering firing for profit schools.  Then I read an article like this.  Bottom line, there can be success in for-profit schools.  Market forces are successful in most of our economy so why not in schools.  This is an area that I will continue to pay attention to.


Article Excerpt

For-profit managers bring success to Philadelphia schools

Last year, the proportion of proficient students in schools run by Edison Schools Inc. rose an average of 10 percentage points, a rate that far exceeded the average gains made in the seven years before Edison started. H. Christopher Whittle, founder of the private company, says the backing of district CEO Paul Vallas and his school board helped Edison weather initial opposition from teachers and community groups.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home